Published by Kirby Winn on Wednesday, January 4, 2023 in News Releases
“Your Cape Awaits” is the theme for January’s National Blood Donor Month as ImpactLife joins blood providers across the United States in celebrating volunteer blood donors throughout the month of January.
The first National Blood Donor Month was recognized in 1970, following a proclamation by President Richard Nixon and a Joint Resolution of the U.S. Congress. The month-long recognition pays tribute to volunteer blood donors and encourages new donors to join the cause during a season that can present some of the greatest challenges for our region’s blood supply. Extreme weather, seasonal illness, and the need to recover donations lost during the busy holiday season all contribute to the challenges blood providers face during the month of January.
To schedule an appointment for blood donation, call ImpactLife at (800) 747-5401, visit www.bloodcenter.org, or download the ImpactLife mobile app at www.bloodcenter.org/app.
ImpactLife encourages donors to post on social media to help spread the word about National Blood Donor Month and has created an online toolkit with resources and information. To download graphics and sample messages, go to https://www.bloodcenter.org/donate/spread-the-word/national-blood-donor-month/.
ImpactLife “Good Giving” promotion continues through January 15
Donors who schedule appointments for donation through January 15 will receive a voucher to redeem for an electronic gift card or donors can choose to make an equivalent value donation to Feeding America, the largest hunger-relief organization in the United States. (Click here to find a local food bank supported by Feeding America.) More than 1800 ImpactLife blood donors have chosen to give up their e-gift card reward for a charitable donation from ImpactLife to Feeding America and this has resulted in $28,060 raised with still more than a week still to go.
- First-time Whole Blood donors: choice of $25 electronic gift card or donation to Feeding America
- Returning Whole Blood donors: choice of $20 electronic gift card or donation to Feeding America
- Automated donation procedures (platelets, plasma, double red cell): choice of $25 electronic gift card or donation to Feeding America
Additional program details at www.bloodcenter.org/promotions.
ImpactLife is a not-for-profit community organization providing blood services to 124 hospitals in Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, and Wisconsin, as well as resource sharing partners across the country. Services extend from southcentral Wisconsin to St. Louis, Missouri and from Danville, Illinois to Chariton, Iowa. (See a map of the ImpactLife service region.) ImpactLife operates 22 Donor Centers and holds approximately 5000 mobile blood drives annually to provide blood components needed for patient transfusions at hospitals throughout our region.
For more information, see www.bloodcenter.org and find us @impactlifeblood on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, TikTok, Twitter, Snapchat, and YouTube.
Sample content from the National Blood Donor Month toolkit, available at:
- January is #NationalBloodDonorMonth! Thank you to all of the donors who have helped keep the nation's blood supply ready when needed. Learn more about how you are helping your community at www.bloodcenter.org!
- Do you know someone with cancer? Someone who is pregnant? Someone with sickle cell disease? Then you know someone who may need blood. Learn more at www.bloodcenter.org.
- Fact: Only 5% of blood donor in the United States are African American, but the need is greater. Learn more about the need for a diverse donor base at www.bloodcenter.org.
- Fact: 1 in 7 patients entering a hospital will use blood. Schedule your donation today at www.bloodcenter.org.